The EYFS statutory framework 2014 lays out the seven areas of learning and development that must shape educational programmes in early years settings.
The areas of learning are:
- communication and language
- physical development
- personal, social and emotional development
- understanding the world
- expressive arts and design
Today, with one of my mindees and my son we were able to tick off all 7 areas of learning through no particular pre-planning.
Given that it was his first day back after Christmas and it’s still the holidays, we had a relaxed day which we spent mostly at home with two short outings thrown in but still managed to cover all of the following –
- Playing with the new remote control tractor (Understanding the World: Technology)
- Read new book about Transport (Literacy)
- Completed a puzzle about the Solar System (Understanding the World – The World)
- Took a trip to the shops (Mathematics, Communication & Language)
- Played with my son building with the Duplo bricks (Personal, Social and Emotional Development)
- Played with playdough (Communication and Language, Expressive Arts and Design, Physical Development (fine motor skills) and Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- A trip to the recycling centre (Understanding the World – The World)
And there we have it, all 7 areas of learning covered in just one day!