In September one of my mindees will start primary school. It may seem a long way off right now but I’m sure the time between now and then will fly!
Here at Aston Childcare these are just some of the ways in which I get mindees “School ready”.
- We read books about starting school such as Janet Ahlbergs “Starting School”
- We talk about starting school and how mindees are feeling about it (nervous, excited etc)
- Teach them to recognise their own name
- Teach them to be independent by practicing putting on and taking off their own coats, shoes and socks.
- Teach them to go to the toilet on their own and manage wiping themselves clean and washing their hands
- Practise eating packed lunches and work out how to manage food wrappers or eat meals using cutlery.
- Ensure children understand the importance and follow instructions such as “No” and “Stop”
- Teach them to help with tidying up
- Sit and read together
- Offer lots of mark making activities
- Practice lots of counting
In addition to the above I speak with parents and other settings about how I can help aid their transition. Hopefully this will help in ensuring we have happy school starters come September! J